So, after taking a four hour break to eat and relax a little… very little as it turned out, as the kids screamed and fought and fussed until I sent them to bed, which they fought and fussed about with me (When a 17-year-old tells you “No”, it’s a delicate situation. Diffusing nuclear BOMBS are less dangerous). But it’s quasi-quiet, and after trying to read, only to fall asleep, give up and decide to sleep, only to have screaming and yelling and fighting start just after I slip into unconsciousness… Well, I’m wide awake now. So, back to the Bloggiesta fiesta
I decided to go ahead and make a separate blog for The Welsh Reading Challenge, but it’s still some work before linking it up here. It’s coming along nicely, though I figure with a devoted blog, I can make all the lists and links that the challenge deserves without turning Mt. TBR into a chaotic mess. Thanks BethFishReads and Rhinoa’s Ramblings for sharing their wisdom from their first year of hosting challenges
So now I’m doing a few mini-challenges…
First up, cleaning out the reader. The Book Lady’s Blog is hosting a mini-challenge to clean up your blog reader. I use Google Reader, and currently have 64 subscriptions. She puts it like this:
If you’re like me, you subscribe to more blogs than you can keep straight. You love some of them, you skim some others, and you might even mark some as “read” without even glancing. This mini-challenge is all about organizing your feedreader to make it work for you.
yeah… sadly, that’s true for me with a couple blogs. Why I put them in my reader, I don’t even remember anymore. Maybe they had a funny Friday Fill-In, so I thought I’d love their whole blog, but it always seems to be about rock collections or dogs in tutus… IDK… lol. Actually, I’d probably read the dogs in tutus *glances over and Missy, looks to her left and sees the camera… wonders where the tutu and princess cone hat went* Hehehehe.
So I’m cleaning out the reader and I’ve found one blog that’s moved several months ago, as well as a few dormant blogs and a couple whose content I never read. As I’m going through the blogs that haven’t had a new post in more than three months, the thought hits me: What if what happened to Katie in Undiscovered Gyrl happened to them? What if they’re missing or dead, and I’m just callously ticking off their blog to unsub because they don’t post from the Great Beyond?
So now I’m down to 51. There is the possibility of 10 dead and missing bloggers somewhere out there and 2 blogs whose content I groan after skimming. What’s next? Categories and folders. Good idea… if I’d have thought of that before unsubbing, I could’ve just made an “MIA” folder incase they’re found before the guy hacks them to bits and they return to blogging to tell their story. BUT… I think I’m following them on twitter, so it’s all good. Okay, so now I have a Welsh Challenge folder and a Meme folder, then the rest are regular bloggers that I read in general.
After that, all I need is to catch up on the reading, which I got caught up on a couple weeks ago, and have stayed caught up
Next up is BethFishRead’s Mini-Challenge to write up a rainy day post. Either one of an opinion or a list. I’ve actually got a half-done post that I started about a year ago… lol. It’s a Fantasy Island list thing, so I think I’ll go ahead and finish it up for this.
…… On second thought, after looking at what I thought was a half-finished post that turned out to be two lines of what I thought would be a fun post but I no longer know what I was talking about, I’ll write a new one. LOL. But what to write… hmmmm… I pretty much exhausted my opinions with the Festivus posts. Okay, so it’ll be a list then. BUT, you know me… it won’t be a dry, sensible list… oh, no… it’s going to be goofy and random.
*Tick-tock… minutes have passed* Okay, got it done. I set out to make a list, but it ended up more of a humorous rant, so I guess that’s an opinion… lol.
So for this mini-challenge, I (actually, it’s Natasha’s idea, I’m just channeling her for the moment) challenge you to seek out 10 (yes, ten!) new blogs (from the list of bloggers who signed up for the Bloggiesta) and leave a thoughtful comment on their blog. Saying “Just popping in to say hey ‘cause Softdrink told me to” ain’t gonna cut it for this challenge. Find a book review that intrigues you and tell them why. Look for something you have in common and chat about it. Ask them a question about their blog design. You get the idea, right? Be original…be engaging…be yourself!
Okies… so here’s the blogs I visited and left comments:
- Reading With Tequila’s review of Mockingbird by Charles J. Shields lol, ended up ordering the book from PBS.
- English Major’s Junk Food review of Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen I’m safe from a new book addition, at least
- Books of Mee’s review of The Sandman Volume 1: Preludes and Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman Again, another safe, non-book-getter one
- Notes from the North’s The Sunday Salon: Terry Pratchett OooOOoo… now I’m whining because I want to join the Terry Pratchett reading challenge.
- ReadingAdventures Terry Pratchett 2010 Challenge lol, wouldn’t you know it… she’d be a Bloggiesta participant. Must be fate! I joined the challenge for the 1-3 book range: Cashier at Ankh-Morpork Mint. I can add ONE more book to my list this year, right? lol
- Graasland’s The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson (The Sunday Salon of December 27th, 2009) safe from another book or challenge Except… that I want to re-read it and I mooched my copy away… crap.
- Coffeespoon’s review of Slumdog Millionaire (or Q&A) by Vikras Swarup Already have it on Mt. TBR somewhere, and I’ve seen the movie… safe.
- Michelle’s Masterful Musings’ review of Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris It’s already on my reading list for this month… or next.
- The Zen Leaf’s review of The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards Already read it, and found it okay, but the movie version killed it for me.
- Bibliofreak’s review of All the King’s Men: the movie I’ve seen the movie and liked it, but she says the book is even better… and I have the book, Yay!
Wow, 10 was kind of hard. I got to about 7 and wanted to poop out. Of course, it IS 3:30 am… and I have put in about 11 and a half hours on Bloggiesta… so I have a good excuse for being tire.
All in all, I think I really got a LOT done today. While doing the commenting mini-challenge, I came across a few blogs that I always loved reading, but somehow never managed to get in my Google Reader, so my GR sub list is longer now, too
Kk.. I’m knocking off for the night. The library is having a family movie event tomorrow, so I’ll probably start back on more mini-challenges sometime in the afternoon.
11:10 am – 7:25 pm… took a break… 11:20 pm – 3:45 am… going to bed.
Filed under: Bloggiesta | Tagged: All the King's Men, Andrew Davidson, Bibliofreak, Bloggiesta, blogging, Charlaine Harris, Charles J. Shields, Dead Until Dark, dogs in tutus, Fizzy Thoughts, Google Reader, Harper Lee, housekeeping, Kim Edwards, mini-challenges, Mockingbird, Northanger Abbey, Sandman, Slumdog Millionaire, Sookie Stackhouse, Terry Pratchett, Terry Pratchett 2010 Challenge, The Gargoyle, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, True Blood, Vikras Swarup, Zen Leaf | 8 Comments »