The Where’s your book set? meme
I found this on Blue Archipelago’s Sunday Salon post, and thought it’d be fun. Here’s how it works – just answer some or all of the following questions about the book you are currently reading (or just finished if you are between books).
Here’s the questions:
1. Title and author of the book
2. What year is the book set in?
3. What happened on this day in that year? Go to google and type in the date ie 13 July 1952 and see if you can find a news item for that day.
4. Where is your book set?
5. Have you visited that place before? If yes tell us something about your trip. If no, look the location up on google and tell us an interesting fact about the city/country.
1. I’m currently reading The White Maryby Kira Salak (I’m also reading Why You Shouldn’t Eat Your Boogers but that wouldn’t play well with this meme)
2. I’m not sure if it has a year, just current. For the purposes of the meme I’ll say 2007.
3. “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” opened in theaters on July 13th, 2007 (That would have made it a Friday the 13th…. perfectly witchy day for a witchy movie.)
4. The White Maryis mainly set in Papau New Guinea and Boston, though there are a few other places Marika goes.
5. I have not visited PNG, myself, but my dad did on a layover to Australia. I haven’t been to Boston, either. Wikepedia says this of PNG:
It is one of the most diverse countries on Earth, with over 850 indigenous languages and at least as many traditional societies, out of a population of just under 6 million.
And I thought Vietnam’s 57 different ethnicities and languages was a lot… 850!